The remarkable story of Château de la Jaubertie
The river Jaubertie, the Ryman Family & Henri 4th of France!
The Château de la Jaubertie owes its name to the small river that runs through the estate. It all began in the year - 4000 BC, with traces indicating that a camp occupied part of the property during the Neolithic period. In the 12th century, the site was a small, renowned fief, and it wasn't until the 16th century and the arrival of Henri IV that Jaubertie became part of History: first as a hunting lodge for the good King Henri, offered as a gift to his mistress Gabrielle d'Estrées.
Then as the place of residence of Queen Marie Antoinette's favourite doctor during the revolution of Léon Beylet. He completed the construction of the Château in the Directoire style by building an architectural "folly" inspired by Italian palaces for his mistress, a renowned dancer.
The property has been listed as a historical monument since 2005
Its architecture evolved between the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 20th century when the adjoining pavilions were separated from the main building. The facade of the building was rebuilt as it stands today after a fire broke out in 1916.
Owned by the Ryman family since 1973, the Jaubertie has been listed as a historical monument since 2005.